All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCanadians don't spend a lot of time bragging, but as this collection shows, our citizens have a lot to be proud of--the many amazing firsts that have come from this country and its people and their impact on our culture and the world: * Alexander MacKenzie was the first recorded explorer to complete the transcontinental crossing of North America * In 1885, Banff National Park was the first patch of land ever recognized as a national park * Canadian-born Gideon Sundback was the first to patent a separable fastener, a.k.a. the zipper, in 1913 * The first kidney transplant performed between identical twins took place at Montreal's Royal Victoria Hospital in 1958 * Montreal's Maurice Richard was the first hockey player to record a 50-goal season in 1944-45 and the first to score more than 500 goals in his career * The Hudson's Bay Company, established on May 2, 1670, is the oldest, continuously operating company on the continent * The 12.9 -kilometre-long Confederation Bridge between mainland Canada and Prince Edward Island is the world's longest uninterrupted span * In 1962, at just 15 years old, Petra Burka became the first woman figure skater in the world to complete a triple Salchow * And so much more.
- Author BiographyBestselling author Lisa Wojna has authored or co-authored more than 20 books for Blue Bike Books, including Weird Canadian Laws and the Bathroom Book of Canadian Quotes. She has also written many other non-fiction books. Having worked in the community newspaper industry as a writer and journalist, she has traveled all over Canada from the windy prairies of Manitoba to northern British Columbia and even to the wilds of Africa. Although writing and photography have been a central part of her life for as long as she can remember, its the people behind every story that are her motivation and give her the most fulfillment.
- Author(s)Lisa Wojna
- PublisherFolklore Publishing
- Date of Publication29/04/2008
- SubjectTrivia & Quiz Books
- Place of PublicationEdmonton
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintFolklore Publishing
- Weight262 g
- Width55 mm
- Height209 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $26.06Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $37.10Trending at AU $43.40
- AU $29.30Trending at AU $31.81
- AU $70.85Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.39
- AU $19.05Trending at AU $23.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.