All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Midwest has always been the heart of America-both its ecomic bellwether and the repository of its national identity. Now, in a new, globalized age, the Midwest is challenged as never before. With an influx of immigrant workers and an outpouring of manufacturing jobs, the region that defines the American self-the Lake Wobegon image of solid, hardworking farmers and factory hands-is changing at breakneck speed. As factory farms and global forces displace old ways of life, the United States is being transformed literally from the inside out. In Caught in the Middle, longtime Chicago Tribune reporter Richard C. Longworth explores the new reality of life in today's heartland and reveals what these changes mean for the region-and the country. Ranging from the manufacturing collapse that has crippled the Midwest to the biofuels revolution that may save it, and from the school districts struggling with new migrants to the Iowa meatpacking town that can't survive without them, Longworth addresses what's right and what's wrong in the region, and offers a prescription for how it must change-politically as well as ecomically-if it is to survive and prosper.
- Author BiographyNow a fellow at the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, Richard C. Longworth was an award-winning foreign correspondent and senior writer at the Chicago Tribune. His previous book, Global Squeeze, was lauded by Foreign Affairs as an engrossing study of how advanced societies grapple with the disruptive forces of global markets. Twice a Pulitzer Prize finalist, Longworth lives in Chicago.
- Author(s)Richard C Longworth
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication11/08/2009
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Content Notemaps
- Weight290 g
- Width141 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.18
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.99
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.42
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $36.82Trending at AU $37.88
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.28
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.77
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.