All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $70.96Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionCharlotte Charke's father, Colley Cibber, was one of the eighteenth-century's great actor/playwrights - the toast of the British aristocracy, a favourite of the king. When his high spirited, often rebellious daughter, Charlotte, revealed a fondness for things theatrical, it was thought that the young actress would follow in his footsteps at the legendary Drury Lane, creating a brilliant career on the London stage. But this was t to be. And it was t that Charlotte lacked talent - she was gifted, particularly at comedy. Troublesome, however was her habit of dressing in men's clothes - a preference first revealed onstage but adopted elsewhere after her disastrous marriage to an actor, who became the last man she ever loved.
- Author BiographyKathryn Shevelow is an award-winning professor at the University of California in San Diego, teaching regular classes in Restoration and eighteenth-century drama. She has published widely on eighteenth-century topics and lives in Solana Beach, California.
- Author(s)Kathryn Shevelow
- PublisherPicador USA
- Date of Publication15/05/2008
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPicador USA
- Out-of-print date04/02/2010
- Content Note25 black & white photo's throughout
- Weight544 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.