All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionChina has been the fastest growing major ecomy in the world for three decades. It is also home to some of the largest, most incendiary and most underreported labour struggles of our time. China on Strike, the first English-language book of its kind, provides an intimate and revealing window into the lives of workers organising in some of China's most profitable factories, which supply Apple, Nike, Hewlett Packard and other multinational companies. Drawing on dozens of interviews with Chinese workers, China on Strike is a first-hand account from Chinese labourers.
- Author BiographyHao Ren became interested in Chinese labor rights while she was in university, and after graduating went to work for a labor NGO in the Pearl River Delta. After leaving the organization in 2010, she supported herself by taking a variety of jobs in factories throughout coastal China. Continuing with her interest in labor issues, she spent her free time interviewing workers in order to complete this book. Eli Friedman is Assistant Professor of International and Comparative Labor at Cornell University. His primary areas of interest are China, development, globalization, social movements, theory, urbanization, and work and labor. He is the author of Insurgency Trap: Labor Politics in Postsocialist China, published by Cornell University Press (2014). His peer reviewed articles have appeared in ILR Review, Theory and Society, British Journal of Industrial Relations, and Mobilization, among others. He is also a regular contributor to Jacobin. Zhongjin Li is a Ph.D candidate in the Department of Economics at University of Massachusetts Amherst. She received her bachelor's degree in International Relations from Renmin University of China and a master's degree in Economics from University of Massachusetts Amherst. Her main research focus is political economy of development, economic crises, and labor politics in Asia.
- Author(s)Eli Friedman,Zhongjin Li
- PublisherHaymarket Books
- Date of Publication30/06/2016
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHaymarket Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight324 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byHao Ren
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.