All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWinner of the PEN International/New Voices Award 2015 Shortlisted for the Sunday Times EFG Short Story Award 2015 Onstage again, you stare down at your feet, imagining you see the bright, painted curves of a pair of clown's shoes...It helps to pretend you are a clown, hidden inside baggy trousers, your true face invisible behind splashes of red lipstick and pale powder...A dazzling, ambitious debut collection from a young talent (shortlisted for the Sunday Times EFG Short Story Award and longlisted for the PEN International/New Voices Award), these critically acclaimed stories dip into the shadows and spotlights of life. From the pale waking hours to the darkling places, Clown's Shoes introduces a cast of lost characters trying to find their way, and asking whether everyone really does come salting home in the end? Since the Devil visited the glove maker, she has found herself in the asylum counting out days instead of stitches. At the dog track, hidden amongst the rowdy punters, a woman bets on underdogs, life, and love. Onstage, a desperate mother performs a nightly striptease, whilst, in a small Welsh town, a young Korean immigrant tells her secrets to the sway of the sea. The people who populate the exciting and intriguing world of Clown's Shoes have stories that enthrall the imagination.
- Author BiographyRebecca F. John was born in 1986 and grew up on the South Wales coast. She holds a BA in English and an MA in Creative Writing from Swansea University. She has been published in Parthian's Nu: Fiction & Stuff, and the Terry Hetherington Award anthologies Cheval 4 and 5. Rebecca currently works as a Ski Instructor, and enjoys painting, playing music, riding horses and visiting snowy locations. Her favourite authors include Clare Wigfall, Maggie O'Farrell, Ian McEwan and Evie Wyld.
- PrizesCommended for Sunday Times EFG Short Story Award 2015.
- Author(s)Rebecca F. John
- PublisherParthian Books
- Date of Publication31/03/2015
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationCardigan
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintParthian Books
- Weight136 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $34.26Trending at AU $43.84
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $74.40
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.43
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $83.68
- AU $13.32Trending at AU $15.85
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $19.69
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.