All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $71.21Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
About this product
- DescriptionLeading up to the financial crisis of 2008 and onwards, the shortcomings of traditional models of regional ecomic and environmental development had become increasingly evident. Rooted in the idea that 'policy' is an encumbrance to free markets, the stress on supply-side smoothing measures such as clusters and an over reliance on venture capital, the inadequacy of existing orthodoxies has come to be replaced by the tion of transversality. This approach has three strong characteristics that differentiate it from its failing predecessor. First, as the name implies, it seeks to finesse horizontal kwledge interactions as well as vertical ones, thus building 'platforms' of industrial interaction. Secondly, it is t a supply, but a demand side model in which needs-driven invation rather than pure market competition prevails. Finally, it is ongoing through recessionary times, being more robust than over-specialized approaches to ecomic growth. The intellectual origins of transversality lie in an aspiration to promote eco-invation, one of the key hopes of assisting Western regional and national ecomies to re-balance and escape recession. The policy models of key regional exponents of the concept are explored and their goals achievement is assessed. An array of policy instruments and measures is presented for hands-on policy implementation. The book will be of vital interest to academics as teachers and researchers as well as policy advisers and public servants.
- Author BiographyPhilip Cooke is Director and Research Professor in Regional Development at the Centre for Advanced Studies, Cardiff University, UK.
- Author(s)Philip Cooke
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication25/04/2014
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note42 black & white illustrations, 12 black & white tables, 2 black & white halftones, 6 colour illustrations, 40 black & white line drawings
- Weight385 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.