All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.82Trending at AU $7.34
- AU $63.09Trending at AU $76.70
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $17.56Trending at AU $22.92
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
About this product
- DescriptionTowards the end of his life, Descartes published the first four parts of a projected six-part work, The Principles of Philosophy. This was intended to be the definitive statement of his complete system of philosophy, dealing with everything from cosmology to the nature of human happiness. In this book, Stephen Gaukroger examines the whole system, and reconstructs the last two parts, 'On Living Things' and 'On Man', from Descartes' other writings. He relates the work to the tradition of late Scholastic textbooks which it follows, and also to Descartes' other philosophical writings, and he examines the ways in which Descartes transformed t only the practice of natural philosophy but also our understanding of what it is to be a philosopher. His book is a comprehensive examination of Descartes' complete philosophical system.
- Author BiographyEducated at University of London (BA, 1974) and University of Cambridge (PhD, 1977). Currently Professor of History of Philosophy and History of Science, University of Sydney. Previous Books include: Explanatory Structures (1978), Descartes: Philosophy, Mathematics and Physics (1980), Cartesian Logic (1989), Descartes, An Intellectual Biography (1995), Descartes: The World and Other Writings (Cambridge University Press, 1998), The Soft Underbelly of Reason (1998), Descartes' System of Natural Philosophy (2000) and Francis Bacon and the Transformation of Early Modern Philosophy (2001).
- Author(s)Stephen Gaukroger
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication21/03/2002
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note27 b/w illus.
- Weight570 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.