All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe entangled threat of crime, corruption, and terrorism w deserves high-level policy attention because of its growth trajectory. Using lively case studies, this book analyzes the transformation of crime and terrorism and the business logic of terrorism. Louise I. Shelley concludes that corruption, crime, and terrorism will remain important security challenges in the twenty-first century as a result of ecomic and demographic inequalities in the world, the rise of ethnic and sectarian violence, climate change, the growth of techlogy, and the failure of nineteenth- and twentieth-century institutions to respond to these challenges when they emerged.
- Author BiographyLouise I. Shelley is University Professor at the School of Public Policy, George Mason University. She founded and directs the Terrorism, Transnational Crime, and Corruption Center (TraCCC). She is the recipient of Guggenheim, National Endowment of the Humanities, IREX, Kennan Institute, and Fulbright fellowships, and she has received MacArthur grants to establish the Russian Organized Crime Study Center and to study the role of illicit actors in nuclear smuggling. Her previous books include Human Trafficking: A Global Perspective (Cambridge University Press, 2010) and Policing Soviet Society (1996). She has written extensively on transnational crime, illicit trade, and money laundering and has testified before the House Committee on International Relations, the Helsinki Commission, the House Banking Committee, and the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on transnational crime, human trafficking, and the links among transnational crime, financial crime, and terrorism. She serves on the Global Agenda Council on Illicit Trade and Organized Crime for the World Economic Forum (WEF) and was the first cochair of its Council on Organized Crime. Professor Shelley presently cochairs a group on human trafficking within the Global Agenda Councils of the WEF. She is a life member of the Council on Foreign Relations.
- Author(s)Louise I. Shelley
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication28/07/2014
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 b/w illus. 5 maps 2 tables
- Weight520 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.10
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.