Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.79
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.66
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.50
About this product
- DescriptionThis book relates to the Indian debate on reservations -- a legal provision that guarantees a minimum presence in various institutions to social categories considered as victims of a historical prejudice. It focuses on the implementation of electoral reservations for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Other Backward Classes and women. Reservations aim at reconciling the individual, egalitarian premises of democracy with the traditionally major role of communities and hierarchies in the Indian society. Through reservations, the law tackles frontally the contrast between the political system and the social structure of India -- and one can wonder which of the two comes out more transformed in the process. This series of empirical case studies -- dealing with different levels of political life, different regions and different timeframes -- brings elements of answer to that question; indeed the very heterogeneity of the collection allows us to go beyond the specific problematic usually associated with each beneficiary category. The chapters analyse the working of reservations in reference to two closely connected yet distinct issues: the effectiveness of reservations as a means towards political representation; and their relevance as instruments of social change. The book thus offers a collective, though partial, stock-taking exercise, and adds to our understanding of reservations as a policy, their limitations, and their principal and secondary effects. Published in association with Centre de Sciences Humaines, New Delhi.
- Author(s)Stephanie Tawa Lama-Rewal
- PublisherManohar Publishers and Distributors
- Date of Publication01/01/2005
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintManohar Publishers and Distributors
- Width145 mm
- Height225 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.