All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEvery year, more than thirty-five million people from all over the world visit Las Vegas; only two million call the city home. <em>Everyday Las Vegas</em> takes a close look at the lives of those who live in a place the rest of the world considers exotic, even decadent. Using broad research, including interviews with more than one hundred Las Vegans, Rex Rowley - who grew up in Las Vegas - examines everyday life in a place that markets itself as an escape from mundane reality. Rowley considers such topics as why people move to Las Vegas, the nature of their work and personal lives, the impact of growth and rapid change, and interaction with the overwhelmingly touristic side of the city. He also considers the benefits and perils of living in a nstop twenty four-hour city rich in entertainment options and easy access to gambling, drugs, and other addictions. His examination includes the previously unstudied role of neighbourhood casis patronised by locals rather than tourists and the impact that a very mobile population has on schools, churches, and community life. Rowley considers the very different ways people perceive a place as insiders or outsiders, a dichotomy that arises when tourism is a mainstay of the local ecomy. His work offers insights into what Las Vegas can teach us about other cities and American culture in general. It also contributes to our understanding of how people relate to places and how the personality of a place influences the lives of people who live there.
- Author Biography<strong>Rex J. Rowley</strong> was raised in Las Vegas and received his bachelor's degree from Brigham Young University and his master's degree and PhD from the University of Kansas. He is an assistant professor of geography at Illinois State University.
- Author(s)Rex J. Rowley
- PublisherUniversity of Nevada Press
- Date of Publication28/02/2014
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationReno
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nevada Press
- Content Notemaps, figures
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.03Trending at AU $32.48
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.10
- AU $43.72Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.14
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $48.94
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.