All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExperience offers a reading experience like other. A heat-sensitive cover by Olafur Eliasson reveals words, colors, and a drawing when touched by human hands. Endpapers designed by Carsten Holler are printed in ink containing carefully calibrated quantities of the synthesized human pheromones estratetrael and androstadiene, evoking the suggestibility of human desire. The margins and edges of the book are designed by Tauba Auerbach in complementary colors that create a dynamically shifting effect when the book is shifted or closed. When the book is opened, bookmarks cascade from the center, emerging from spider web prints by Tomas Sarace. Experience produces experience while bringing the concept itself into relief as an object of contemplation. The sensory experience of the book as a physical object resonates with the intellectual experience of the book as a container of ideas. Experience convenes a conversation with artists, musicians, philosophers, anthropologists, historians, and neuroscientists, each of whom explores aspects of sensorial and cultural realms of experience. The texts include new essays written for this volume and classic texts by such figures as William James and Michel Foucault. The first publication from MIT's Center for Art, Science, & Techlogy, Experience approaches its subject through multiple modes. Publication design by Kimberly Varella with Becca Lofchie, Content Object Design Studio.Cover concept by Olafur Eliasson in collaboration with Kimberly Varella (Content Object). ContributorsTauba Auerbach, Bevil Conway, John Dewey, Olafur Eliasson, Michel Foucault, Adam Frank, Vittorio Gallese, Renee Green, Stefan Helmreich, Carsten Holler, Edmund Husserl, William James, Caroline A. Jones, Douglas Kahn, Brian Kane, Leah Kelly, Bru Latour, Alvin Lucier, David Mather, Mara Mills, Alva Noe, Jacques Ranciere, Michael Rossi, Tomas Sarace, Natasha Schull, Joan W.Scott, Ti Sehgal, Alma Steingart, Josh Tenenbaum, Rebecca Uchill
- Author BiographyCaroline A. Jones is Professor of Art History in the History, Theory, Criticism section of the Department of Architecture at MIT. She is the editor of Sensorium: Embodied Experience, Technology, and Contemporary Art (MIT Press). David Mather is Assistant Professor of Art History at the State University of New York at Stony Brook. Rebecca Uchill is cofounder of Experience Economies, a curatorial collaboration, and CAST Postdoctoral Fellow.
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication17/10/2016
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note135 color illus., 25 b&w illus.
- Weight1315 g
- Width181 mm
- Height251 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Edited byCaroline A. Jones,David Mather,Rebecca Uchill
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $17.80Trending at AU $22.39
- AU $43.34Trending at AU $44.65
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $37.27
- AU $25.64Trending at AU $34.27
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.66
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.