Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $21.73Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.18Trending at AU $35.05
About this product
- DescriptionThe enactment of humanity begins with experiences and culminates in the effects of coping with experiences. Experience confirms the human potential, but indicates also its limitations, both in the sense that the absence of experiences undermines established modes of behavior, and that disregard and misunderstanding of experiences lead to distorted forms of personal and cultural relations. This book is an attempt to localize religion, as well as the study of religions, within the context of experiences and as a topic of philosophical inquiry. Focusing on the question of specifically religious experiences and investigating various models of the relationship between religion and experience, the study suggests that specific experiences are needed to understand the emergence and development of religious traditions and attitudes. Assessing the implications of basic questions and attitudes in religious studies, it presents a theory of religion which is rooted in the internal dynamics of being human and cultural, and marked by a culture-oriented understanding of philosophy. The book concludes with a discussion of various phemena which can be addressed as modes and forms of implicit religion, since they do t comply with expectations of traditional or explicit religion.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Wilhelm Dupre is Emeritus Professor at the University of Nijmegen. He was Visiting Professor at the University of Manitoba, Canada, and Visiting Scholar at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, UK, and at the Centre for Studies in Religion and Society of the University of Victoria, BC, Canada. He is scientific advisor of various academic journals and societies.
- Author(s)Wilhelm Dupre
- PublisherEuropean Interuniversity Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2005
- Series TitleDieux, Hommes et Religions Gods, Humans and Religions
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Country of PublicationBelgium
- ImprintEuropean Interuniversity Press
- Weight320 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.