The Roake Fire Department's history began in 1882 when the first firefighters were organized by the newly chartered City of Roake. The volunteer fire companies such as the Vigilants, Juniors, Friendship, and Alerts provided protection against fire for the city. Roake began paying firefighters in about 1903; they were usually drivers to get the horses and steam engines ready for when the volunteers showed up. In 1907, the last of the volunteers disbanded in a show of solidarity to the city, and the Roake Fire Department became fully paid. The department doubled in size in 1936 when a second platoon was added and grew again in 1972 when the third platoon was added. The Roake Fire Department continued to protect the citizens and visitors of Roake City up until 1995 when it merged with Roake City EMS to form the Roake Fire-EMS Department. In Firefighting in Roake, the history of this 125-year-old local service tradition is told.