Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
About this product
- DescriptionFish Conservation offers, for the first time in a single volume, a readable reference with a global approach to marine and freshwater fish diversity and fishery resource issues. Gene Helfman brings together available kwledge on the decline and restoration of freshwater and marine fishes, providing ecologically sound answers to biodiversity declines as well as to fishery management problems at the subsistence, recreational, and commercial levels. Written in an engaging and accessible style, the book: considers the value of preserving aquatic biodiversity; offers an overview of imperiled fishes on a taxomic and geographic basis; presents a synthesis of common characteristics of imperiled fishes and their habitats; details anthropogenic causes of decline; examines human exploitation issues; and, addresses ethical questions surrounding exploitation of fishes.The final chapter integrates topics and evaluates prospects for arresting declines, emphasizing the application of evolutionary and ecological principles in light of projected trends. Throughout, Helfman provides examples, explores case studies, and synthesizes available information from a broad taxomic, habitat, and geographic range. Fish Conservation summarizes the current state of kwledge about the degradation and restoration of diversity among fishes and the productivity of fishery resources, pointing out areas where progress has been made and where more needs to be done. Solutions focus on the application of ecological kwledge to solving practical problems, recognizing that effective biodiversity conservation depends on meeting human needs through management that focuses on long-term sustainability and an ecosystem perspective.
- Author BiographyGene S. Helfman is emeritus professor in the Institute of Ecology and the program in conservation ecology and sustainable development at the University of Georgia in Athens.
- Author(s)Gene S. Helfman
- PublisherIsland Press
- Date of Publication15/07/2007
- SubjectEnvironment & Ecology: General Interest
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIsland Press
- Content Note133 figures, 29 boxes, 15 tables, glossary, index
- Weight1406 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine37 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.