All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBryan Wild joined the RAF in 1940, a raw recruit t long out of school. Over the next five years, he flew fourteen different types of aircraft and saw action over Britain, North Africa, the Mediterranean and Germany. His memoirs capture the daily life of this everyman of RAF pilots: the thrill of flying and experiencing a new aircraft for the first time; the frisson of night flying in the early days when planes were t equipped with inboard radar; the tedium of hanging around with thing to do contrasting with the intensity and urgency of action; and deep comradeships and the devastating loss of friends in combat. Wild started the war with nine lives and ended up with just the one. He had close shaves with death in action, but also freak accidents such as radio breakdown in fog over the Welsh mountains, an undercarriage stick that broke off in his hand and a runway collision with an errant cook wagon. Flying Blind: The Story of a Second World War Night-Fighter Pilot portrays the flavour of wartime RAF life as much as one pilot's journey from boyhood to manhood.
- Author BiographyBryan Wild's daughter Elizabeth assisted her father with typing up his wartime diaries. Since his death she has collated and assembled his material and undertaken further background research for this book. She lives with her husband in rural Herefordshire. Joe Bamford: I am the author of five books concerning military aviation during both world wars. Bryan became a good friend and helped me when I was researching and writing 'Eyes Of The Night'. He always spoke honestly about his feelings and he has written a detailed personal account of his war.
- Author(s)Bryan Wild,Elizabeth Halls,Joe Bamford
- PublisherFonthill Media
- Date of Publication01/10/2013
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationToadsmoor Road
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFonthill Media
- Content Note95 black and white photographs
- Weight420 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.11Trending at AU $24.23
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.37
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.