In 1809, Gen. George Washington directed the construction of a military post overlooking the Potomac River to protect the city of Washington from the British. Fort Warburton, as it was originally kwn, was destroyed in 1814 by its own commanding officer, who ordered the fort s destruction on the approach of the British fleet. A strong community remains, thriving on diversity, ecomic growth, and its close proximity to the nation s capital. Recently, the citizens of Fort Washington renewed their efforts to preserve history; this dedication is evident in the revitalization of Fort Washington Park under the auspices of the National Park Service. Images for this volume, which date to the birth of photography, were drawn from the National Archives and Records and the Library of Congress, as well as private collections.
Beverly Babin Woods, Jane Taylor Thomas, Nathania Branch-Miles