All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $77.35
- AU $61.13Trending at AU $61.77
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.20
- AU $17.89Trending at AU $18.33
- AU $12.86Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $16.42Trending at AU $24.69
About this product
- DescriptionAs a young, deaf Jewish woman living in a small town in Michigan in 1942, Sandra Horowitz felt deeply frustrated by her limited prospects. Even though she had just graduated from junior college, she knew that she had two strikes against her in fulfilling her dream to become a veterinarian. Better to marry Jacob Winter, her parents urged her, a deaf Jewish man who made a good living. Then, Sandra met Rudy Townsend, a hearing soldier on leave before shipping out to the war in Europe. In just four days, both Sandra and Rudy s worlds were turned upside down. Sandra s parents feared him for being hearing and a Gentile, while Rudy s parents expressed openly their bias against her ethnic background and her deafness. Even so, Sandra and Rudy soon realized that they had fallen in love, deeply and passionately. As they shared the brief time they had together, they learned about each other s dreams for the future Sandra s desire to be a vet and Rudy s determination to serve in Congress. Then, Rudy had to leave for the war. Philip Zazove s vel Four Days in Michigan captures perfectly the power of irrepressible love between two individuals from opposite backgrounds. The struggles they encounter in an era when such differences were never more sharply drawn also reveal great detail about deaf and hearing life. Despite all, their triumph comes ultimately because of their long-lasting individual respect and love.
- Author BiographyPhilip Zazove, M.D., is on the faculty of the Family Practice Department of the University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor, MI, and the author of When the Phone Rings, My Bed Shakes: The Memoirs of a Deaf Doctor.
- Author(s)Philip Zazove
- PublisherGallaudet University Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication30/04/2012
- SubjectRomance & Sagas
- Place of PublicationWashington, DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGallaudet University Press,U.S.
- Weight666 g
- Width150 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.