All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionThe Palestine campaign of 1917 saw Britain's armed forces rise from defeat to achieve stunning victory. After two failed attempts in the spring, at the end of the year they broke through the Ottoman line with an invative mixture of old and new techlogy and tactics, and managed to advance over 50 miles in only two months, all the way from Gaza to Jerusalem. As well as discussions of military strategy, this gripping narrative of the 1917 campaign gives a broad account of the men on both sides who lived and fought in the harsh desert conditions of Palestine, facing t only brave and determined enemies, but also the environment itself: heat, disease and an ever-present thirst. Involving Ottoman, ANZAC, British and Arab forces, the campaign saw great empires maeuvring for the coveted Holy Land. It was Britain's victory in 1917, however, that redrew the maps of the Middle East and shaped the political climate for the century to come. The repercussions of the 1917 Palestine campaign continue to be felt today. Stuart Hadaway, in this highly readable book, re-examines this crucial point in time when the fate of the Holy Land was changed beyond recognition.
- Author BiographyStuart Hadawayis a professional military historian who has worked with regimental museums around the UK, including as curator of the RAF Museum. He is currently senior researcher to the official historians of the RAF, as well as being a prolific writer with articles published in magazines including Britain at War, Military Illustrated, and Your Family Tree.
- Author(s)Stuart Hadaway
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/10/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSpellmount Publishers Ltd
- Content Note40 black & white illustrations, 8 black & white plates, 8 colour plates
- Weight581 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.