All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionThis book serves as an introduction to protein structure and function. Starting with their makeup from simple building blocks, called ami acids, the 3-dimensional structure of proteins is explained. This leads to a discussion how misfolding of proteins causes diseases like cancer, various encephalopathies, or diabetes. Enzymology and modern concepts of enzyme kinetics are then introduced, taking into account the physiological, pharmacological and medical significance of this often neglected topic. This is followed by thorough coverage of haemoglobin and myoglobin, immuproteins, motor proteins and movement, cell-cell interactions, molecular chaperones and chaperonins, transport of proteins to various cell compartments and solute transport across biological membranes. Proteins in the laboratory are also covered, including a detailed description of the purification and determination of proteins, as well as their characterisation for size and shape, structure and molecular interactions. The book emphasises the link between protein structure, physiological function and medical significance. This book can be used for graduate and advanced undergraduate classes covering protein structure and function and as an introductory text for researchers in protein biochemistry, molecular and cell biology, chemistry, biophysics, biomedicine and related courses. About the author: Dr. Buxbaum is a biochemist with interest in enzymology and protein science. He has been working on the biochemistry of membrane transport proteins for nearly thirty years and has taught courses in biochemistry and biomedicine at several universities.
- Author BiographyDr. Buxbaum is a biochemist with interests in enzymology and protein science. He has special experience with isolation of soluble and membrane proteins, assay development, enzyme kinetics, binding, and transport studies. Dr. Buxbaum has taught courses in biochemistry, protein science, and molecular medicine at various universities.
- Author(s)Engelbert Buxbaum
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication30/11/2015
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note23 black & white illustrations, 223 colour illustrations, 14 black & white tables, biography
- Weight1045 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.