All listings for this product
About this product
- Descriptiona Globalizationa is a word that is currently much in use. This book is an attempt to show that there is far more to globalization than its surface manifestations. Unpacking the social roots and social consequences of globalizing processes, this book disperses some of the mist that surrounds the term. Alongside the emerging planetary dimensions of business, finance, trade and information flow, a a localizinga , space--fixing process is set in motion. What appears as globalization for some, means localization for many others; signalling new freedom for some, globalizing processes appear as uninvited and cruel fate for many others. Freedom to move, a scarce and unequally distributed commodity, quickly becomes the main stratifying factor of our times. Neo--tribal and fundamentalist tendencies are as legitimate offspring of globalization as the widely acclaimed a hybridizationa of top culture -- the culture at the globalized top. A particular reason to worry is the progressive breakdown in communication between the increasingly global and extra-- territorial elites and ever more a localizeda majority. The bulk of the population, the a new middle classa , bears the brunt of these problems, and suffers uncertainty, anxiety and fear as a result. This book is a major contribution to the unfolding debate about globalization, and as such will be of interest to students and professionals in sociology, human geography and cultural issues.
- Author BiographyZygmunt Bauman is Professor of Sociology at the Universities of Leeds and Warsaw and was awarded the Theodor W. Adorno Prize for 1998.
- Author(s)Zygmunt Bauman
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication13/07/1998
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleThemes for the 21st Century Series
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content Note0
- Weight164 g
- Width137 mm
- Height188 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $31.45
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.86Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.