All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA history of the most table houses in England and Wales and the great families, seen as part of the houses they created, where their descendants, in many cases, still live today. Full of memorable characters and anecdotal insight, this book is a glorious tribute to what Evelyn Waugh called 'our chief national artistic achievement'. The original photographs show the unexpected as well as the familiar - the private rooms and the servants' quarters as well as the grand exteriors and state rooms, the gardens and ble landscapes. They include some of the most splendid examples of English art and architecture, illustrating the work of Inigo Jones, John Vanbrugh, Thomas Chippendale, Robert Adam and Lancelot 'Capability' Brown.
- Author BiographyHugh Montgomery-Massingberd was the editor of an index covering some 10,000 houses in the British Isles. He was a prolific writer of books and articles. He died in 2007. Christopher Simon Sykes specializes in photographing architecture and interiors. With several books to his name, his photographs have also appeared in Vogue, Vanity Fair, House and Garden and The World of Interiors. The Big House, his family's house in Yorkshire, was published in 2013.
- Author(s)Christopher Simon Sykes,Hugh Montgomery-Massingberd
- PublisherLaurence King Publishing
- Date of Publication18/08/2014
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLaurence King Publishing
- Content Note420 colour illustrations
- Weight2960 g
- Width265 mm
- Height301 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $115.99Trending at AU $139.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.00
- AU $68.62Trending at AU $90.31
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $34.88
- AU $37.74Trending at AU $39.42
- AU $17.49Trending at AU $19.81
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.