All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.32
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
About this product
- DescriptionIn this volume the authors translate and antate key passages from ancient authors to provide a history and an analysis of the origins and development of techlogy. Among the topics covered are: * energy * basic mechanical devices * agriculture * food processing and diet * mining and metallurgy * construction and hydraulic engineering * household industry * transport and trade * military techlogy. The sourcebook presents 150 ancient authors and a diverse range of literary genres, such as, the encyclopedic Natural Histories of Pliny the Elder, the poetry of Homer and Hesiod, the philosophy of Plato, Aristotle and Lucretius and the agricultural treatise of Varro. Humphrey, Oleson and Sherwood provide a comprehensive and accessible collection of rich and varied sources to illustrate and elucidate the beginnings of techlogy. Glossaries of techlogical termilogy, indices of authors and subjects, introductions outlining the general significance of the evidence, tes to explain the specific details, and a recent bibliography make this volume a valuable research and teaching tool.
- Author BiographyJohn W. Humphrey is Head of Department of Greek, Latin and Ancient History at the University of Calgary, Canada. John P. Oleson is Professor and Chair of Greek and Roman Studies at the University of Victoria, Canada. Andrew N. Sherwood is Assistant Professor at Concordia University and lecturer at McGill University in Montreal, Canada.
- Author(s)Andrew Sherwood,John Peter Oleson,John W. Humphrey,Milorad Nikolic
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication27/11/1997
- SubjectTechnology: General & Reference
- Series TitleRoutledge Sourcebooks for the Ancient World
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note14 line figures, glossary, indices
- Weight907 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine34 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.