Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $54.08Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $35.00+ AU $13.80 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by sirroger8
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn admirably judicious and comprehensive - and long overdue - study of one of the most remarkable figures of the twentieth century, whose presence remains both spiritually and politically significant for an age of violently confused international relations. - Rowan Williams, Master of Magdalene College (Cambridge University), former Archbishop of Canterbury An important, brillaintly written book. Its wide selection of sources gives a masterful, true, and full portrait of Hammarskjold. Lipsey's learned and wise comments cobtribute much to understanding the inner life and outward actions of a unique person. - Per Lind, Swedish Foreign Service and personal aide to Hammarskjold, 1953 - 56 A great book about a great man who must t be forgotten in a time which more than ever needs to see the footprints of Dag Hammarskjold - the combination of wholehearted engagement in the world and familiarity with the spiritual 'journey inwards.' - K.G. Hammar, Visiting professor (emeritus) at the Center for Theology and Religious Studies, Lund University, and former archbishop of the Church of Sweden A good and indispensable man, Hammarskjold understood and respected the need for heroes. In this lucid, well-written biography, he certainly emerges as one. -- KIRKUS Roger Lipsey's book is a fascinating literary journey through Dag Hammarskjold's personal and professional life. It demonstrates how his spirituality and inner strength were translated into penetrating analyses of world problems and, most importantly, into principled action. - Jan Eliasson, Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations ...political junkies and history buffs will relish this definitive, painstakingly thorough treatment of a great statesman and consummate diplomat. - Publishers Weekly ... one has sketched [Dag Hammarskjold's] life and peacekeeping endeavors with such depth and breadth as Mr. Lipsey...He argues that Hammarskjold's diplomatic skills preserved the U.N. as a beacon of hope through turbulent times. - George Melloan, The Wall Street Journal After his mysterious death, Dag Hammarskjold was described by John F. Kennedy as the greatest statesman of our century. Second secretary-general of the United Nations (1953 - 61), he is the only person to have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize posthumously. Through extensive research in little explored archives and personal correspondence, Roger Lipsey has produced the definitive biography of Dag Hammarskjold. Hammarskjold: A Life provides vivid new insights into the life and mind of a truly great individual. Hammarskjold the statesman and Hammarskjold the author of the classic spiritual journal Markings meet in this new biography - and the reader will meet them both in these pages. A towering mid-twentieth-century figure, Hammarskjold speaks directly to our time.
- Author BiographyRoger Lipsey, an art historian, editor, and author, has written on a wide range of topics and intellectual figures. He was the general editor of the monumental three-volume edited works of Ananda K. Coomaraswamy (Princeton University Press, 1978) and has edited and co-authored several books, among them An Art of Our Own: The Spiritual in Twentieth-Century Art (Random House, 1989) and Angelic Mistakes: The Art of Thomas Merton (New Seeds, 2006). He is director of the Society for Myth and Tradition, the publisher of Parabola magazine.
- Author(s)Roger Lipsey
- PublisherThe University of Michigan Press
- Date of Publication30/03/2013
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationAnn Arbor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Michigan Press
- Content Note20 black & white halftones
- Weight1157 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine53 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.16
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $43.47Trending at AU $44.49
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $37.13
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.15
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $73.39
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.