All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a fascinating and ground-breaking analysis of the extent to which various major Sufi figures contributed to the mystical philosophy of Ibn al-'Arabi. While recent scholarship has tended to concentrate on his teachings and life, little attention has so far been paid to the influences on his thought. Each chapter is dedicated to one of Ibn al-'Arabi's predecessors, from both the early and later periods, such as al-Bistami, al-Hallaj and al-Jilani, showing how he is discussed in the works of the 'Greatest Master' and Ibn al-'Arabi's attitude towards him. As Abrahamov makes clear, Ibn al-'Arabi was greatly influenced by the early Sufis as regards his philosophy and by the later Sufis in matters of practice. This naturally raises the question: How original was Ibn al-'Arabi's teachings?
- Author BiographyBinyamin Abrahamov is Professor Emeritus of Islamic Theology and Mysticism, and Quranic Studies at Bar-Ilan University, Israel. He was the head of the Department of Arabic and then the Dean of the Faculty of Humanities. He has published several books and articles on early Islamic theology,al-Ghazali and Ibn al-'Arabi.
- Author(s)Binyamin Abrahamov
- PublisherAnqa Publishing
- Date of Publication01/02/2014
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAnqa Publishing
- Weight294 g
- Width150 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.74Trending at AU $16.23
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $14.06Trending at AU $20.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.