All listings for this product
Save on Audio Books
- AU $16.32Trending at AU $20.58
- AU $13.67Trending at AU $18.06
- AU $89.47Trending at AU $97.57
- AU $30.20Trending at AU $37.45
- AU $21.05Trending at AU $28.92
- AU $21.39Trending at AU $26.15
- AU $39.98Trending at AU $46.84
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the New York Times reporter whose beat is culture and ideas comes a fascinating, revelatory, and timely social history of the concept of middle age. For the first time ever, the middle-aged make up the biggest, richest, and most influential segment of the country, yet the history of middle age has remained largely untold. This important and immensely readable book finally fills the gap.In Our Prime is a biography of the idea of middle age from its invention in the late nineteenth century to its current place at the center of American society, where it shapes the way we view our families, our professional obligations, and our inner lives. Patricia Cohen ranges over the entire landscape of midlife, exploring how its biological, psychological, and social definitions have shifted from one generation to the next. Middle age has been a symbol both of decline and of power and wealth. Explaining why, Cohen takes readers from early-twentieth-century factories that refused to hire middle-aged men to twenty-first-century high-tech laboratories where researchers are currently conducting cutting-edge experiments on the middle-aged brain and body.
- Author BiographyPatricia Cohen is a New York Times reporter covering culture and ideas. She has also worked at Rolling Stone, the Washington Post, and New York Newsday. Pam Ward has performed in a variety of venues, but she found her true calling reading books for the blind and physically handicapped for the Library of Congress Talking Books program, for which she received the prestigious Alexander Scourby Award from the American Foundation for the Blind. She is also an AudioFile Earphones Award winner.
- Author(s)Patricia Cohen
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication23/01/2012
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Weight72 g
- Width135 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Narrator(s)Pam Ward
- Format DetailsMP3 format
- Running Time630
- Edition StatementUnabridged
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.