All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.46
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.66
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $14.03
- AU $21.13Trending at AU $25.62
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.98
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $98.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.03
About this product
- DescriptionThis wide ranging selection of essays by a rewned English scholar explores American history, literature, and culture. Many aspects and periods of American history, life, and thought are examined: military, political, biographical, comparative, and more. The text is scholarly, yet readable. The essays cover the young nation, George Washington, European attitudes toward the United States and vice versa, anti-Americanism, and American writers. This work is invaluable as supplemental reading for courses in American history, American literature, and American studies. In Search of America devotes an entire section to the early problems of the young nation in achieving intellectual and artistic, as well as political, independence. Military, biographical, and other aspects of George Washington provide thought-provoking material. The temperament and talent of American writers, including Stephen Crane, Henry Adams, and Willa Cather are considered.
- Author BiographyMARCUS CUNLIFFE (1922-1990) was a British-born historian who wrote more than a dozen books on American history and literature. A commentator on American life, he had been University Professor at George Washington University since 1980. He was a prolific writer, focusing extensively on George Washington and the early history of the United States. He authored, among others, The Nation Takes Shape, American Presidents and the Presidency, The Ages of Man: From Sav-age to Sew-age, Soldiers and Civilians, and The Literature of the United States.
- Author(s)Marcus Cunliffe,Phyllis Palmer
- Date of Publication30/04/1991
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleContributions in American Studies
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo 98
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight835 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.