All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.20Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $44.56
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
About this product
- DescriptionThe Indianapolis 500 celebrates more than a century of high speed racing in May 2016, andthe 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 will be the most spectacular event of the most famous automobile race in the world. The Indianapolis 500: A Century of High Speed Racing tells the story of the first century of competition, revealing that the first Indy car race was in 1911 when the average Joe didnt even own a care, and Ray Harroun etched his name into history. The Indianapolis 500 was breathtaking, but the national emergencies of World War I and World War II interrupted the event because of the gasoline rationing. Discover each race with more attention and more detail focused on the biggest and most significant races, the glorious traditions of the race, and the most impactful and memorable drivers. Highlights include the evolution of speed and mechanics as they occur and key figures and personalities the Motor Speedway has hosted. Recall some of Indy cars most talented drivers such as A.J. Foyt, Rick Mears, Al Under, Sr., and Mario Andretti and their successful careers at the Indianapolis 500. For roughly the first 85 to 90 years of the Indianapolis 500, the race was very dangerous with a long history of fatalities amongst drivers, officials and even spectators. After the SAFER barrier and other safety measures were implemented in the early 2000s, the race became much less hazardous and deaths during the racing have drastically decreased. Race through history and see how the greatest spectacle in racing has evolved from 1911 to 2016.
- Author BiographyLew Freedman is a veteran newspaper sportswriter and experienced author of more than seventy five books about sports and Alaska subjects. He spent seventeen years at the Anchorage Daily News in Alaska and has also worked for the Chicago Tribune and Philadelphia Inquirer. He now resides in Columbus, IN.
- Author(s)Lew Freedman
- PublisherBlue River Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2016
- SubjectMotor Sports & Cycling
- Place of PublicationIndianapolis
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBlue River Press
- Content Note15 b/w
- Weight272 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.