All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough India is one of the largest ecomies in the world, its skill challenges are huge. Despite the tremendous growth and diversification, over half of India's population lacks primary education. Only a fraction of people possess any formal or vocational education and training (VET). India's 12th Planning Commission targets creating around 100 million jobs by 2025 which means millions of people would need VET in addition to primary education. In order to encourage the growth of VET in both public and private sectors, vocational training must expand in schools and higher education institutions. Ather critical factor which would help expand VET is industry participation. Apprenticeships and training system must be encouraged from within and the national vocational or skills qualification framework with new occupational standards and competency based curriculum must be implemented. Based on primary surveys of vocational training providers and enterprises, this book is a first to provide a comprehensive agenda of reforms to improve the employability of India's youth. Without the rapid and effective implementation of this reform agenda, India may t be able to harness its demographic dividend which is predicted to last only for ather quarter of a century.
- Author BiographySantosh Mehrotra is is Professor of Economics, Centre for Labour and Informal Sector Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi. Previously, he was Director-General at the National Institute of Labour Economics Research and Development (NILERD, earlier called Institute of Applied Manpower Research), Planning Commission of India.
- PublisherOUP India
- Date of Publication06/11/2014
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintOUP India
- Content Note78 tables & 35 figures
- Weight526 g
- Width149 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited bySantosh Mehrotra
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.