All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book brings together a group of leading ecomic historians to examine how institutions, invation, and industrialization have determined the development of nations. Presented in hor of Joel Mokyr--arguably the preeminent ecomic historian of his generation--these wide-ranging essays address a host of core ecomic questions. What are the origins of markets? How do governments shape our ecomic fortunes? What role has entrepreneurship played in the rise and success of capitalism? Tackling these and other issues, the book looks at coercion and exchange in the markets of twelfth-century China, sovereign debt in the age of Philip II of Spain, the regulation of child labor in nineteenth-century Europe, meat provisioning in pre-Civil War New York, aircraft manufacturing before World War I, and more. The book also features an essay that surveys Mokyr's important contributions to the field of ecomic history, and an essay by Mokyr himself on the origins of the Industrial Revolution. In addition to the editors, the contributors are Gergely Baics, Hoyt Bleakley, Fabio Braggion, Joyce Burnette, Louis Cain, Mauricio Drelichman, Narly Dwarkasing, Joseph Ferrie, Noel Johnson, Eric Jones, Mark Koyama, Ralf Meisenzahl, Peter Meyer, Joel Mokyr, Lyndon Moore, Cormac O Grada, Rick Szostak, Carolyn Tuttle, Karine van der Beek, Hans-Joachim Voth, and Simone Wegge.
- Author BiographyAvner Greif is the Bowman Family Endowed Professor in Humanities and Sciences in the Department of Economics at Stanford University. Lynne Kiesling is associate professor of instruction in the Department of Economics at Northwestern University. John V. C. Nye holds the Frederic Bastiat Chair in Political Economy at the Mercatus Center and is professor of economics at George Mason University.
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication27/01/2015
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note40 line illus. 45 tables. 10 maps.
- Weight771 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byAvner Greif,John V. C. Nye,Lynne Kiesling
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.16
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $32.98Trending at AU $39.96
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.