All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPeople on the autism spectrum often present with symptoms indicating poor self-awareness or hyper-awareness, low self-esteem, depression and difficulty connecting with others. Treatment which relies on medical and behavioural views of autism risks igring emotional factors. This book demonstrates that counselling and emotional support is t only possible for people on the autism spectrum, but essential. David Moat describes the impact of autism on emotional perception and regulation, and looks at how various therapeutic principles can helpfully be applied to address these issues. He identifies strategies for dealing with common emotional difficulties, including anxiety, anger and depression, as well as techniques for aiding relaxation. Specific approaches to use as part of holistic care are described, including play therapy, the use of imagery and story-making, hyptherapy, intensive interaction, Neuro-Linguistic Programming, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and positive psychology. This is essential reading for all those working therapeutically with people on the autism spectrum, including counsellors, therapists and psychologists, as well as parents.
- Author BiographyDavid Moat is an Integrative Psychotherapist with over twenty-six years' experience of working with individuals on the autism spectrum. He is a past joint-chair of The Confederation of Service Providers for People with Autism (CoSPPA) and has been a registered team leader in the Autism Accreditation Programme. He currently lives and practices psychotherapy in Cambridge, UK, where he is Initial Treatment Consultant at the Integrated Autism Clinic.
- Author(s)David Moat
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication15/05/2013
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Weight244 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.03Trending at AU $32.46
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.06
- AU $43.72Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.13
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.71
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.