All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBy bringing together various ideas and methods for extracting the slow manifolds, the authors show that it is possible to establish a more macroscopic description in nequilibrium systems. The book treats slowness as stability. A unifying geometrical viewpoint of the thermodynamics of slow and fast motion enables the development of reduction techniques, both analytical and numerical. Examples considered in the book range from the Boltzmann kinetic equation and hydrodynamics to the Fokker-Planck equations of polymer dynamics and models of chemical kinetics describing oxidation reactions. Special chapters are devoted to model reduction in classical statistical dynamics, natural selection, and exact solutions for slow hydrodynamic manifolds. The book will be a major reference source for both theoretical and applied model reduction. Intended primarily as a postgraduate-level text in nequilibrium kinetics and model reduction, it will also be valuable to PhD students and researchers in applied mathematics, physics and various fields of engineering.
- Author BiographyAlexander N. Gorban: Full Professor in Modeling & Simulation PhD in Physics & Math (Differential Equations & Math. Physics), 1980, Thesis: Slow Relaxations and Bifurcations of Omega-Limit Sets of Dynamical Systems ; Dr Sc in Physics & Math (Biophysics), 1990, Thesis: Extremal Principles and a priori Estimations in Biological and Formal Kinetics. Affiliation: Head of Nonequilibrium Systems Laboratory (1989 - present) and Deputy Director (1995 - present), Institute of Computational Modeling, Russian Academy of Sciences, Russia; Elected Chair of Applied Mathematics, University of Leicester, UK (2004). Part-time: Institute of Polymers, Polymer Physics, Swiss Federal Institute of technology (ETH), Zurich, Switzerland (2003 - present); Head of Neurocomputers Chair, Krasnoyarsk State Technical University, Russia (1993 - present). Visiting: Clay Mathematics Institute (Cambridge, USA), 03.2000-08.2000; Northeastern University (Boston, USA), 03.2000-05.2000; Courant Mathematics Institute (New York, USA), 04.2000; Institut des Hautes Etudes Scientiques (IHES, Paris, France), 10.2000-12.2000, 07.2001-08.2001,11.2002-12-2002, 09.2003; Scientific advisor of 22 PhD thesis and 3 Dr. Sc. Publications: 14 monographs, 4 patents, over 200 papers. Some of current research projects Constructive Methods of Invariant Manifolds for Kinetic Problems (1989-present); Cluster structure of Genome (2000-present); Molecular Individualism: Theory, computational models, applications (2003-present). Iliya Karlin obtained the doctral degree in physics in 1992 for his thesis Methods of invariant manifolds in physical kinetics . During 1995-1997 he was the Humbold Fellow at the University of Ulm. He was visiting professor at the University of Rome during 1997-1998. At present he is affiliated as a senior scientist at the Swiss Federal institute of Technology (ETH), and as a senior researcher at the Institute of Computational Modeling of Russian Academy of Sciences. He authors about 100 papers on kinetic theory, polymer dynamics, chemical kinetics and computational fluid dynamics. His current research projects include constructive methods of invariant manifolds, theory of polymer dynamics and turbulence modeling.
- Author(s)Alexander N. Gorban,Iliya V. Karlin
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. KG
- Date of Publication22/10/2010
- Series TitleLecture Notes in Physics
- Series Part/Volume Number660
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. K
- Content Note11 black & white tables, biography
- Weight783 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of hardcover 1st ed. 2005
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.88Trending at AU $88.25
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.26
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $20.42
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $36.79
- AU $41.99Trending at AU $45.75
- AU $49.12Trending at AU $65.35
- AU $16.12Trending at AU $22.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.