All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this wide-ranging and masterful work, Ahmad Dallal examines the significance of scientific kwledge and situates the culture of science in relation to other cultural forces in Muslim societies. He traces the ways in which the realms of scientific kwledge and religious authority were delineated historically. The realization of a discrepancy between tradition and science often led to demolition and rebuilding and, most important, to questioning whether scientific kwledge should take precedence over religious authority in a matter where their realms clearly overlap. Dallal frames his inquiry around three concerns: What cultural forces provided the conditions for debate over the primacy of religion or science? How did these debates emerge? And how were they sustained? His primary objectives are to study science in Muslim societies within its larger cultural context and to trace the epistemological distinctions between science and philosophy, on the one hand, and science and religion, on the other. He looks at religious and scientific texts and situates them in the contexts of religion, philosophy, and science. Finally, Dallal describes the relationship negotiated in the classical (medieval) period between the religious, scientific, and philosophical systems of kwledge that is central to the Islamic scientific tradition and shows how this relationship has changed radically in modern times.
- Author BiographyAhmad Dallal is provost and professor of history, American University of Beruit.
- Author(s)Ahmad Dallal
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication03/02/2012
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleThe Terry Lectures
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note2 line-drawings
- Weight290 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine18 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $33.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.