All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThese hymns were written by John Newton in Olney, England and were originally published in 1779. This collection includes John Newton's contribution of 281 hymns. Some favorite hymns by John Newton are Amazing Grace, Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken, and How Sweet the Name of Jesus Sounds. To be faithful to John Newton's original intentions, this edition is uniform with the wording, punctuation, contractions and stanza formatting of the first edition Olney Hymns published by W. Oliver in 1779. Bible references are full text.
- Author BiographyJOHN NEWTON (1725-1807) was born in London, England. His father was a sailor with whom he spent many years at sea. On March 21, 1748, a stormy night at sea turned his heart toward God. He started a new life of prayer and Bible reading. Mary Catlett became his wife in 1750. He worked as a commandeer of a slave ship and then he became a tide surveyor in 1755. He started studying Greek and Hebrew and was sworn in as a deacon in 1764. He became the curate at Olney, England, a small town of farmers and lace makers. He had financial support from John Thornton of London, which allowed him many privileges for relief of the poor and to keep an hospitable open house. He was a swaying influence in the lives of many famous people. The book of hymns called Olney Hymns he wrote with his good friend William Cowper. He is most known for writing the hymn Amazing Grace.
- Author(s)John Newton
- Date of Publication19/07/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight376 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.