All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
- AU $19.84Trending at AU $29.52
About this product
- DescriptionThe Book of the Dead is t a single text but a compilation of spells that the ancient Egyptians believed would assist them in the afterlife as they made their perilous journey toward the realm of the gods and the ultimate state of eternity. No two copies are identical. The spells are often accompanied by colored vignettes, which graphically show the imagined landscape of the Netherworld, the gods and demons whom the deceased will meet, and the critical weighing of the heart - the judgment that will determine whether the traveler will be admitted into the afterlife or condemned to destruction by the monstrous Devourer . With contributions from leading scholars and detailed catalog entries that interpret the spells and painted scenes, this fascinating and important book affords a greater understanding of ancient Egyptian belief systems and poignantly reveals the hopes and fears of mortal man about the world beyond death. The whole is beautifully illustrated with specially commissioned photographs of these exceptional papyri and an array of contextual funerary objects - painted coffins, gilded masks, amulets, jewelry, tomb figurines, and mummy trappings.
- Author BiographyJohn H. Taylor is a curator at the British Museum specializing in ancient Egyptian funerary archaeology.
- Author(s)John H. Taylor
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication19/04/2013
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note240 color illustrations
- Width280 mm
- Height280 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.