All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $29.32Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.12Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionBased on personal interviews with the principal policy-makers of the 1970s, Korea's Development under Park Chung-Hee examines how the president sought to develop South Korea into an independent, automous sovereign state both ecomically and militarily. Kim provides a new narrative in the complex task of exploring the paradoxical nature and effects of Korea's rapid development which maintains that any judgement of Park must consider his achievements in the socio-ecomic, cultural and political context in which they took place. Aspects of Park's government analyzed include: *his abhorrence of Korea's reliance on the US presence *the Korean model of state-guided industrialization *Park's rapid development strategy *the role of the ruling elites *Park's clandestine nuclear development program *the heavy chemical industrialisation of the 1970s The prevailing popularity of Park in the eyes of the Korean public is significant and relevant to their acceptance of how their national development was achieved. This book tells that story while simultaneously recognizing the flaws in the process. With a great deal of material never before published, scholars of Korean politics and history at all levels will find this book a stimulating account of South Korea in the 1960s and 1970s.
- Author BiographyHyung-A Kim is a Research Fellow at the Centre for Asia Pacific Social Transformation Studies (CAPSRTAMS), University of Wollongong, Australia.
- Author(s)Hyung-A. Kim
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication13/12/2011
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleRoutledge/Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA) East Asian Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note12 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white line drawings
- Weight476 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.