Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionThe book continues the work of Widespread Idioms in Europe and Beyond (2012) and also brings new insights into the similarities of the European languages. Using comprehensive data from 78 European and some n-European languages, ather 280 widespread idioms have been analyzed in terms of their distribution and origins. They are arranged according to their source domains (for example, performing arts, sports, history, war, techlogy, money, folk belief, medical skills, gestures, and nature). Among them are very modern layers of a common figurative lexicon, including quotes of personalities of recent times. Thorough research on the sources of these idioms goes beyond the entries in relevant reference works and brings new and unpredictable results. All of the data in this book adds new kwledge to the fields of language and culture. We w kw which Europe-wide common idioms actually constitute a Lexicon of Common Figurative Units and which chrological and cultural layers they may be assigned to. The question about the causes of the wide spread of idioms across many languages w can partly be answered.
- Author BiographyElisabeth Piirainen received her Ph.D. in German philology and linguistics from the University of Munster, Germany. She has been a lecturer at the University of Jyvaskyla, Finland, and a leader of projects on dialect research in Westphalia, Germany. She has written 10 books and 130 articles. One focus of her work is idioms of endangered languages; cf. her two-volume study on phraseology of a Low German basis dialect (2000) and her (co)editorship of Endangered Metaphors (2012) and Language Endangerment (2015). Other topics are theory of conventional figurative language, idiom motivation, cultural foundation of figurative lexical units, and her large-scale research project Widespread Idioms in Europe and Beyond.
- Author(s)Elisabeth Piirainen
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication30/09/2016
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleInternational Folkloristics
- Series Part/Volume Number10
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight1190 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.