All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionFor the past quarter-century, government and the private sector have relied heavily on risk assessment for making decisions, allowing widespread environmental deterioration. In this book, Mary O'Brien recommends a simple yet profound shift to ather decision-making technique: alternatives assessment. Instead of asking how much of a hazardous activity is safe (which translates into how much damage the environment can tolerate), alternatives assessment asks how we can avoid or minimize damage while achieving society's goals.Alternatives assessment is a simple, commonsense alternative to risk assessment. It is based on the premise that it is t acceptable to damage human and nhuman health or the environment if there are reasonable alternatives. The approach calls for taking precautionary measures even if some cause-and-effect relationships have t been fully established scientifically. The process must involve an examination of the full range of alternatives, including action at all. Equally important, it must be democratic and include potentially affected parties.O'Brien t only makes a persuasive case for alternative assessment; she tells how to implement it. She also shows how this technique has profound implications for public health, for our stewardship of the environment, and for a truly democratic government.Published in association with the Environmental Research Foundation.
- Author(s)Mary O'Brien
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication10/07/2000
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note24
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.