All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.52Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
About this product
- DescriptionThis book depicts the cultural imagination of the Italian-Jewish mirity from the unification of the country to the end of the First World War. The creation of an Italian nation-state introduced new problems and new opportunities for its citizens. What did it mean for the Jewish mirity? How could members of the mirity combine and redefine Jewishness and Italianness in a radically new political and legal framework? Key concepts such as family, religion, nation, assimilation and - later - Zionism are observed as they shift and change over time. The interaction between the public and private spheres plays a pivotal role in the analysis, and the self-fashioning of Italian Jewish elites is read alongside the evolution of the cultural stereotypes typical of the time. Reinterpreting the Italian national patriotic narrative through the eyes of the Jews, Carlotta Ferrara degli Uberti is able to unveil its less kwn layers and articulations, while at the same time offering a new perspective from which to read the modern Jewish experience in the Western World.
- Author BiographyCarlotta Ferrara degli Uberti is Lecturer in Italian History at University College London, UK. She has published extensively on topics of Italian Jewish history.
- Author(s)Carlotta Ferrara Degli Uberti
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication22/11/2016
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight493 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edition Statement1st ed. 2016
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.