All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $21.88Trending at AU $34.44
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $20.37Trending at AU $22.08
About this product
- DescriptionMental illness is a highly controversial and contested field, informed by the ideas and research of academics and practitioners working in psychiatry, psychology, pharmacology, sociology, genetics and the neurosciences. This book brings clarity to a complex field, exploring core issues ranging from debates about the way the concept has been developed and expanded over time to controversies over the causes of mental illness. The author evaluates critiques of the concept of mental illness and of the way its expanding boundaries w define a far wider range of mental states, experiences and activities as pathological. Arguing that these boundaries need to be restricted, the author contends that many of the phemena identified as mental illness are rmal reactions to life's difficulties and that, while individuals may need support, it is t appropriate or helpful for such phemena to be treated as indicative of mental disorder. Other important topics covered include the way mental illness is measured, its distribution across populations and over time, and the different types of care provided for those with identified mental illness. Mental Illness will prove invaluable for intending practitioners in medicine, psychiatry, mental health nursing, social work, and clinical and health psychology, as well as for students in psychology, sociology and the health sciences.
- Author BiographyJoan Busfield is Professor of Sociology at the University of Essex.
- Author(s)Joan Busfield
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2011
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Series TitlePolity Key Concepts in the Social Sciences Series
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight420 g
- Width144 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.