All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn his own lifetime, Alessandro Moreschi (1858-1922) was kwn as the Angel of Rome. He was the last surviving castrato singer of the Sistine Chapel choir, and the only one of the castrati whose voice survives in any solo recording. The ethereal, haunting quality of his voice hints at why this extraordinary sound was so highly prized for centuries in the opera houses of Europe. The castrato tradition became established in Italy in the late 16th century, when Pope Clement VIII gave it his sanction. By the 17th century the castrati had moved onto the secular operatic stage, where they were feted as the pop stars' of their day. Few rmal' singers, male or female, came close to matching their fame and success. But by the 19th century their continued existence had become an embarrassment, and when Moreschi joined the Sistine Chapel in 1883, there were only six castrati left in the choir, and by 1903 they were officially more. The strange and lonely life of Alessandro Moreschi was lived in the shadows of great events and great institutions, his personality glimpsed only by inference and allusion. Written by an acclaimed musicologist, who as a counter-ter has performed much of the repertoire written for castrati, this is a perceptive and informed study of the last survivor of a perennially intriguing part of Western cultural history.
- Author BiographyA Professor of Singing at the Royal Academy of Music, Nicholas Clapton's 20-year career as a counter-tenor has seen him particularly involved in performing the repertoire of the great castrati. In 2006 he presented a television documentary on the castrato voice for BBC 4, and in the same year he also curated the hugely successful 'Handel and the Castrati' exhibition at the Handel House, London.
- Author(s)Nicholas Clapton
- PublisherHaus Publishing Limited
- Date of Publication31/10/2008
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHaus Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight271 g
- Width145 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $25.79Trending at AU $26.18
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $20.02Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.