All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.65Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
About this product
- DescriptionThe Polish playwright and artist Stanislaw Ignacy Witkiewicz, kwn as Witkacy, is w recognized as Poland's leading theatrical invator of the interwar years and one of the outstanding creative personalities of the European avant-garde. This volume contains two of Witkacy's tropical plays inspired by the playwright's trip to Ceylon and Australia in 1914 with his close friend, the anthropologist Bronislaw Maliwski. Mr. Price, or Tropical Madness is a drama of heightened passion and greed among British colonists in Rangoon who seem to have stepped out of Joseph Conrad's tales of the South Seas. Metaphysics of a Two headed Calf, set in New Guinea and Australia, pits savage European imperialists against a native tribal Australia and pits savage European imperialists against a native tribal chieftain whose fetish of a great golden frog offers greater insight into the mystery of existence than the Westerners' shallow rationalism. Both plays puncture the white rulers' poses of superiority and parody their images of the tropical Other. Also included in the volume are Witkacy's Foreword to Metaphysics of a Two-Headed Calf in which the playwright defends his concept of theatre as an automous art with a scenic language of its own and an appendix containing a documentary itinerary of Witkacy's journey to Ceylon.
- Author BiographyDaniel Gerould is Lucille Lortel Distinguished Professor of Theatre and Comparative Literature at the City University of New York Graduate School. He is the Editor of Slavic and East European Performance, and has written, translated and edited numerous books and articles on avant-garde Polish and Russian Drama.
- Author(s)Stanislaw Ignacy Witkiewicz
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication13/12/2001
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight294 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byDaniel Gerould
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.