All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.66Trending at AU $38.33
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.66
About this product
- DescriptionIn recent years considerable interest has been focused on nlinear diffu- sion problems, the archetypical equation for these being Ut = D.u + f(u). Here D. detes the n-dimensional Laplacian, the solution u = u(x, t) is defined over some space-time domain of the form n x [O,T], and f(u) is a given real function whose form is determined by various physical and mathematical applications. These applications have become more varied and widespread as problem after problem has been shown to lead to an equation of this type or to its time-independent counterpart, the elliptic equation of equilibrium D.u + f(u) = o. Particular cases arise, for example, in population genetics, the physics of nu- clear stability, phase transitions between liquids and gases, flows in porous media, the Lend-Emden equation of astrophysics, various simplified com- bustion models, and in determining metrics which realize given scalar or Gaussian curvatures. In the latter direction, for example, the problem of finding conformal metrics with prescribed curvature leads to a ground state problem involving critical exponents. Thus t only analysts, but geome- ters as well, can find common ground in the present work. The corresponding mathematical problem is to determine how the struc- ture of the nlinear function f(u) influences the behavior of the solution.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication30/12/2011
- Series TitleMathematical Sciences Research Institute Publications
- Series Part/Volume Number12
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight568 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byJames Serrin,L.A. Peletier,Wei-Ming Ni
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1988
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.