All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEach year, tens of thousands of students across the country enroll in abrmal psychology courses. The majority of these students are taught that mental illnesses are genetically-determined malfunctions in the brain, that the American Psychiatric Association's DSM-5 is the primary means of diagsis and assessment, and that psychotropic medications and cognitive-behavioral interventions are the only scientifically appropriate tools for symptom management.In this warm and deeply personal text, author Ronald B. Miller offers students a different approach. Starting with his own professional and personal search for meaning as a young scholar, Miller guides readers through a historical tour of alternative conceptualizations and treatments for psychological problems. Across a comprehensive range of mental illnesses, including developmental disorders, anxiety, depression, personality disorders and schizophrenia, he reviews theoretical bases, methods of diagsis and assessment, and treatments that have long produced successful outcomes, yet have too often been denigrated or igred by proponents of the dominant approaches to mental health care.A much-needed critical examination of reigning orthodoxies, such as our tendency to pathologize psychological difficulties and to downplay or igre subjective experiences of human suffering, this text offers a pragmatic and compassionate approach that can revolutionize readers' understanding of abrmal psychology.
- Author BiographyRonald B. Miller, PhD, is professor of psychology at Saint Michael's College where he has also directed the Master's Program in Clinical Psychology for thirty years.He is the author of Facing Human Suffering: Psychology and Psychotherapy as Moral Engagement (2004), an associate editor for the Encyclopedia of Psychology (2000), and the editor of The Restoration of Dialogue: Readings in the Philosophy of Clinical Psychology (1992). He is a founding associate editor of the journal Pragmatic Case Studies in Psychotherapy, and the former editor of the Journal of Theoretical and Philosophical Psychology.A fellow of APA, he is currently the chair of the Vermont Board of Psychological Examiners.
- Author(s)Ronald B. Miller
- PublisherAmerican Psychological Association
- Date of Publication30/07/2015
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationWashington DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Psychological Association
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.