Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $7.98Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by countryhouselibrary
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.25
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.47
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $103.42
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.47
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.41
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.60
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $23.55
About this product
- Description'I could've had class. I could've been a contender. I could've been somebody.' Former boxer Terry Malloy and his brother Charley, the crooked lawyer kwn to all as 'the Gent', are members of the tough, mobster-connected New York Longshoremen's Union, run by Johnny Friendly. Johnny and his goons rule the waterfront with an iron fist. If you want to stay alive, you do things Johnny's way and plead 'D 'n D' - deaf and dumb. Terry, seen by most as a slow-witted, washed-up fighter, is happy to do any work he can get. But when he is caught up in one of Johnny's rub-outs and meets Katie, sister of the murdered man, a conscience begins to form. Together with the idealistic but tough-talking Catholic priest, Father Peter Barry, Terry and Katie attempt to take on the gangster-ridden waterfront. But Johnny Friendly and his men don't take kindly to ratting, and their attempts to undermine the mob may come at a severe cost.
- Author BiographyBudd Scuhlberg grew up in Hollywood, his father being one of the founders of the Hollywood film industry. His novels include the legendary What Makes Sammy Run?, On The Waterfront, The Disenchanted, The Harder They Fall, Everything That Moves, two collections of short stories and a memoir. He died in 2009.
- Author(s)Budd Schulberg
- PublisherAllison & Busby
- Date of Publication24/03/2008
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleAllison & Busby Classics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAllison & Busby
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.