All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionWhile depictions of gardens are found across the centuries and around the world, within Europe the Impressionists were among the first to portray gardens directly from life, focusing on their colour and form rather than using them as a background for historical, religious and literary themes. This volume explores the close, symbiotic relationship between artists and gardens that developed during the latter part of the nineteenth and the first part of the twentieth centuries, centring on Monet, a great horticulturalist as well as a great artist, and the creation of his garden at Giverny, where he painted his Water Lilies series. I owe it to flowers, he wrote, that I have become a painter. Beautifully illustrated with masterpieces from Monet and fellow Impressionists, and from later painters such as Bonnard, Sargent, Klee, Kandinsky and Matisse Painting the Modern Garden traces the changing influences of artistic movements and social and political effects on the garden in modern art. Chapters explore the aesthetic importance of gardens to these artists, and also their significance as utopian spaces of imagination and reverie, as well as of spiritual refuge.
- Author Biography<b>Monty Don</b> is a horticulturalist who has written widely on gardens and gardening. <b>Ann Dumas</b> is a curator at the Royal Academy of Arts. <b>Heather Lemonedes</b> is curator of drawings at the Cleveland Museum of Art. <b>James Priest</b> is head gardener at Monet s garden at Giverny. <b>William Robinson</b> is curator of modern European art at the Cleveland Museum. <b>Clare A.P. Willsdon</b> is senior lecturer in the history of art at the University of Glasgow.
- Author(s)Ann Dumas,Monty Don
- PublisherRoyal Academy of Arts
- Date of Publication07/09/2015
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRoyal Academy of Arts
- Content Note250 colour illustrations
- Weight2530 g
- Width280 mm
- Height300 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.