All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
About this product
- DescriptionWhat does online community look like in the age of social networking? How do participatory culture platforms reflect both their designers' intentions and the desires of their users? In this incisive and timely work, Adrienne L. Massanari discusses how culture is created and challenged on Reddit.com, the self-proclaimed front page of the internet. Reddit enables the sharing of original and reposted content from around the web, and provides a platform for like-minded individuals to commune around topics of interest - everything from the joys of drinking beer in a shower (/r/showerbeer) to celebrating the pleasures of tidy penmanship (/r/penmanshipporn). Massanari's ethgraphic work provides a detailed examination of the contradictions that shape Reddit's culture and how they reflect its role as an epicenter of geek culture. The book explores the ways in which community on Reddit is formed and solidified through play and humor, and the complex ways in which Redditors come together, which demonstrate a deep capacity for altruism and charitable giving, but can easily lapse into mob action. It also explores the community's troubling gender and racial politics and how some Redditors are carving out their own space on the site to fight back.
- Author BiographyAdrienne L. Massanari (PhD, University of Washington) is Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She is co-editor of Digital Ethics (Peter Lang, 2012) and Critical Cyberculture Studies (2006).
- Author(s)Adrienne L. Massanari
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication27/02/2015
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitleDigital Formations
- Series Part/Volume Number75
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight420 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.