All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPerhaps best kwn for editing the popular post-World War II magazines Galaxy Science Fiction and Beyond Fantasy Fiction, Horace L. Gold also wrote comic-book scripts for DC Comics and penned numerous pulp adventures and science-fiction stories. Perfect Murders, a collection of seven of these stories, captures the timeless emotions evoked by pulp and science fiction for the twenty-first century. Though the main character is always called Gilroy, his identity shifts from story to story: the horserace handicapper fighting for his dame, the private eye sussing out the murderer, or the hard-boiled journalist exposing the mad scientist. And though Gold uses the traditional genres-time travel, Armageddon, science gone awry, murder, extraterrestrials-Perfect Murders is thing less than a horrific, page-turning, fictional thrill ride engineered by one of the leading science-fiction writers and editors of the mid-twentieth century. The Bison Books edition is introduced by Gold's son, E. J. Gold, offering a new perspective on these classic stories.
- Author BiographyHorace L. Gold (1914-96) wrote for DC Comics during the early 1940s until he was drafted. After his discharge, he brought a fresh, more nuanced approach to the science-fiction genre as editor of Galaxy Science Fiction. During the post-World War II science-fiction boom, Gold was known for introducing new writers, hiring illustration pioneers, and publishing a beautiful, high-quality magazine. E. J. Gold is an artist, writer, and jazz musician who collaborated with his father, Horace L. Gold, on several novels in the 1960s and whose science-fiction stories and articles have appeared in several magazines, including Omni Magazine.
- Author(s)Horace Leonard Gold
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2010
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Series TitleBison Frontiers of Imagination
- Place of PublicationNebraska
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBison Books
- Weight386 g
- Width3429 mm
- Height5182 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Introduction byE. J. Gold
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.12Trending at AU $71.78
- AU $11.54Trending at AU $16.45
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $14.87
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.74
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $22.68Trending at AU $25.96
- AU $9.42Trending at AU $13.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.