Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1972, Matthew Lipman founded the Institute of Advancement for Philosophy for Children (IAPC), producing a series of vels and teaching manuals promoting philosophical inquiry at all levels of schooling. The programme consisted of stories about children discussing traditional topics of ethics, values, logic, reality, perception, and politics, as they related to their own daily experiences. Philosophy for Children has been adapted beyond the IAPC texts, but the process remains one of an open community of inquiry in which teachers promote respect, conceptual clarity, critical judgement, and active listening without imposing their own ideas. Philosophy in Schools describes the successes and difficulties in implementing this community of inquiry model. The book covers topics including the formation of n-didactic courses in ethics, the difficulties of fitting a post-compulsory philosophy course into a standard curriculum framework, and the political assumptions of adopting this model in a low socio-ecomic school. The contributions also ask deeper questions about how a genuine community of inquiry model is incompatible with conventional models of schooling, with their positioning of the discipline of philosophy in the curriculum. This book was originally published as a special issue of Educational Philosophy and Theory.
- Author BiographyFelicity Haynes is a retired Education researcher, who formerly taught at the University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia. Her research and teaching focuses on critical thinking, ethics, conceptual change, gender issues, and education. She founded the Association for Philosophy in Schools in 1987, and has been an active member of the Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication03/03/2016
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleEducational Philosophy and Theory
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight385 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Edited byFelicity Haynes
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.