All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe pictorial representations of Cambodian silk hangings, pidan, are unique in mainland Southeast Asia. Many of the few surviving antique textiles of this genre visualise, in astounding detail, Theravada Buddhist themes and are a response in silk to similar images in other artistic media also used in community religious practice. The imagery of ather genre of pidan springs from a different source, and are distinguished by their common theme of a triad of bird/snake/tree of life. In addition some of this group have images of ships ranging from realistic to arcane. Latest research suggests that these hangings were essential to celebrations held at the end of the rainy season in Cambodia. This book illuminates many facets of these spectacular cloths. Assembling for the first time a comprehensive collection of pictorial pidan from private and public collections, many hitherto unpublished, the reader can revel in the wealth of cultural references encoded in the patterns.
- Author(s)Gill Green
- PublisherRiver Books
- Date of Publication01/08/2007
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Country of PublicationThailand
- ImprintRiver Books
- Content Note264 col, 14 b/w
- Weight860 g
- Width250 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine15 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.