All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPittsburgh: The Story of an American City follows Pittsburgh from its frontier beginnings through its evolution into the most heavily industrialized city in the world, to the city's renewal of itself as America's Most Livable City. This beautiful volume though, is much more than the story of a single city; it is the history of the United States. This book is based on years of research and includes contributions by such ted American historians as Henry Steele Commager and Oscar Handlin. More than 1100 pictures recreate the city's dramatic 200+year history. Featured are photographs by W. Eugene Smith, Margaret Bourke-White, Norman W. Schumm, Lorant himself and others. A chrology of events from 1717 offers historical snapshots in the day to day life of the archetypical American city.
- Author BiographyStefan Lorant was the author of more than a dozen books on American history. He edited magazines in three languages - English, German, and his native Hungarian. He has been acknowledged as the creator of modern photo-journalism by Life magazine, The New York Times, and The London Times. In 1991 The London Times included him as one of the 1000 Makers of the Twentieth Century for the development of photo-journalism.
- Author(s)Stefan Lorant
- PublisherDerrydale Press
- Date of Publication28/09/1999
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationMissoula
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDerrydale Press
- Content Note1100 illustrations
- Weight2901 g
- Width225 mm
- Height284 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Edition Statement5th Revised edition
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $20.16Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.45Trending at AU $29.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.